Thursday, 12 July 2012

AYUTTHAYA

When I went to Ayutthaya, we hired a guide for me and my friends. She was informative and as usual with most Thais, very friendly.  When we were in the car, she mentioned about taking the 'swing'. I had no idea what 'swing' she was talking about, until we reached the other side of the river and saw this 'swing'. A huge swing which ferries passengers from one end of the river to the other. Very traditional and fun too.








Here, we saw an elderly lady selling noodles from her small boat. Another common scene.







Our guide (left), with us sitting the swing.




The swing was owned by the monks at the nearly monastery, here seen operating it manually.  Fees were in a form of donations of any kind, no limit set.






The writting in red was an indication of how high the flood level was recently.



This part of the temple was very interesting as the previous Thai King had allowed a merge of Western architecture and local religion within this compound.



I was told this was an important flower. The flower of the Bodhi tree, where Buddha was supposed to have been born under.






A sundial dating 1878.




This was a Buddhist temple, with Western architechture.



Inside the temple (doesnt it look like a Church to you?), with a local monk blessing visitors.











Donation tree, it's up to visitor to donate for upkeeping of the temples within.


A very friendly monk, giving teachings and blessings to everyone.




A map of Ayutthaya, reminded me much of how Angkor Wat was built..surrounded by water.


Cheers everyone. I'll blog about the ruins of Ayutthaya in the next post :)

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I would never get my husband in that swing, I would be doing that trip alone!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL images, M.Kate! Such beautiful places and architecture. That swing would have made me nervous a first... *yikes* Loved the visit to the temple. Don't was all wish we sometimes had a money tree? ;o) Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful blog as usual..I think I would have a problem in the swing. I don't do well with heights. I get on the second rung of a ladder and I start to sweat..the girls love to tease me.
    Hope all is well with you and family..sending love/Carolyn/Rosebud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Kate....you always have such wonderful things to share with us. Beautiful post and so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swing is awesome. My favorite photo is the one of the lady selling noodles from her boat. I'd love to be a customer.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi M. Kate,
    What a pleasure to ride the swing with you and your family into a whole new and different world.
    I adore that incrediblely beautiful blossom marking the birth of Buda. It reminds me of a passion flower.
    How is your garden growing? Any lotus blossoms gracing your life now?
    Happy summer to you.
    Love,
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Thailand, one visit was not enough as I would love to see and do everything you write about in your recent posts. Love the header, amazing macro photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Buddhist Temple does look like a Christian church, M Kate! I love the stained glass. The "swing" ride across the river looked like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a marvellous place. Well done for being brave and going on the swing. I had to smile at the post boxes- they blend East and West so well to become a new style. The church/temple is a wonderful blend. I have seen those pastel internal colours in a Methodist church but not so ornate as the emphasis is on the preacher. I like how they put the bodhi flower on the ceiling. Externally you would think that the church was Church of England in a Gothic Revival style. However those windows in their plain but bright style, I think owes more to the area. I adore them- like panes of intense silk colours. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful place this is. I would have thought the magnificient building is a church if you didn't tell. It must have been a wonderful feeling being able to see the beautiful blooms of the bodhi tree. Glad to know that you have been going places, M.Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bodhi tree is something! It almost looks like an animal in motion. :)
    The temple does look like a church and a very nice one!
    Thanks for another tour of an enchanting land!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How are you my dear friend? I had to visit you and see if anything is new? I have been slow with my blogging too..and ashamed of myself for not visiting sooner..Hope all is well with you and your family..sending love and blessings..Rosebud/Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. How are you my dear friend? I had to visit you and see if anything is new? I have been slow with my blogging too..and ashamed of myself for not visiting sooner..Hope all is well with you and your family..sending love and blessings..Rosebud/Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi M.Kate! It’s great to be back and enjoy your posts!!
    Always dreamed of visting Ayutthaya! Now seeing it thru your lenses. Great!!

    Blogtrotter Two is now in Dominica. Enjoy the rain and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments :)