Friday, 8 June 2012

JONKER STREET - WHIMSICAL WINDOWS, DELIRIOUS DOORS


Whenever I go to Malacca, I will always go to this wonderful place for antiques lovers called, Jonker Street. It's a place filled with all sort of curiosities and a great way to find vintage items.  I bought some blue China wares, antiques from the 30's onwards but did not take a picture. Will post that soon.  

Here are a collection of entrances which I found interesting. 

Also it's an entry for my Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors post. 



Some Chinese cutting inspired drawing framing a window. 




The famous Chicken rice shop!



Now this is an interesting item. It's a antique carrier for brides in olden China, hence the red cloth. Here seen outside an antique shop.




Translated meaning: Hokkien Association.



Plenty of Chinese antiques vases everywhere.


Most of the buildings are from that era. Previously houses which have been well preserved and made into shop lots now.



Another typical entrance.



With Chinese traders dominating the Straits of Malacca then, their influence in heavy in many places.



With that, have a happy weekend everyone :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi MK!! Your doors have been captured perfectly! The color red seems to be present in each one...and they pop with interest! Good to see you again!! I am slowly coming back to blog land! Lots going on here. We sold our farm but have another smaller place that we are working on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow what a mix! The dragons around the doorway has to be my fav. The antique vases could inspire a patchwork with their colours. I like the 2nd shelf one 2nd from the right's colours in particular- pink with the turquoisey blue. Thanks for a woderful tour M Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Kate, I would love to browse those shops but I am afraid they would be able to charge me a lot of money because I would have no idea what was antique and what was a fake copy. You would have to go with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so pleased that you've joined our WWDD meme, and wowee what a lot of wonderful doorways you've found! Amazing! Thanks for sharing them, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great windows and doors. I found the bride carrier quite interesting. Your finds always give me a little "window" into another world, so fitting with your theme :-)

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many interesting things to see. It would make our antiques look not so old!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments :)